This meat pie is traditionally served with yellow mustard (squeeze a line across pie with each bite) and a cold beer!
2 lbs hamburger (or 1lb hamburger & 1 lb chicken - diced)
1 onion (chopped)
1 head green cabbage (chopped)
roasted garlic (1 T heaping spoonful, mashed)
salt & pepper to taste
6 C all purpose flour
1/4 + 1/8 C sugar
1 1/2 t salt
3 1/4 t + 1/8 t active dry yeast
6 T shortening
1/4 + 1/8 C warm water
1 1/2 C milk
2 T honey
- Oven 350 deg, cookie sheet (very lightly greased).
- Cook meat and onion together. Drain. Add roasted garlic, salt and pepper. Mix.
- Steam cabbage until almost tender. Drain. Mix with meat mixture.
- Set bread machine to dough setting, add all wet ingredients. Add dry on top of the wet, making a dip in the center for the yeast, place yeast in dip. Process on dough setting. (if making dough manually, follow direction from a dough recipe....I haven't done it since I bought a bread machine YEARS ago...)
- Once dough is made and has risen, kneed gently on floured surface. Roll out in managable amounts, as thin as you can get it. Cut circles out with a cereal bowl (or something about 4" across.)
- Place a good amount of filling in center of dough circle, so that dough barely folds over to cover, fold over into a crescent and pinch the edges.
- Place on cookie sheet, bake for 20 - 25 mins until golden brown.
- Cool a bit, serve with yellow mustard.
- If not eating full batch, cool completely, place in heavy duty freezer zip locks and freeze.
- Re-heat directly from freezer in the microwave.